i550 trailer ideas

Talk about it.

Moderators: admin, Kevin

i550 trailer ideas

Postby BaikalPeter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:15 pm

As the fleet grows we see many different trailers carrying the bespoken boats.
Does anyone have any ideas about IDEAL i550 trailer?

I've noticed side support bars on some recent transporters, is it something that people came to find necessary/convenient?

I've built a basic long "saddle" frame with adjustable cart position and hull supports, all elements are removable i.e. the trailer can be upgraded to any reasonable extent.
Total length, excluding retractable lights, is circa 4950 mm /16,24 ft.

What do you guy think is a "must" for an i550 trailer?

here is link to trailer's web gallery: https://www.facebook.com/peter.tatarino ... 919&type=1

Peter
Attachments
DSC02523.JPG
DSC02530.JPG
BaikalPeter

Re: i550 trailer ideas

Postby jray » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:07 pm

I've been using a shorelander trailer with factory bunks with no problems. I had to adjust the heights some and bring the front supports in as much as possible to match the hull. I know others have built frames and had success. So far I haven't traveled any long distances but am confident it will work just fine.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby micah202 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:15 pm

...nice base there.....I've found that a full bunker across the hull ~2-3' forward of the keel,,,with ~1' guide-posts up the hull-sides,,,,,and 2 partial cross-hull bunkers,,,with guide-posts the height of the gunnel work well--the boat floats in from the back,,keel slips between rear-bunkers,,and self-centres nicely as the boat's pulled out.

.......be sure to have a little pad under the bow too,,,picture the trailer being angled down a ramp,,with boat floating,,back of trailer becomes ~~1' low of hull,,but bow 'kisses' the trailer.

...........you can get an idea of what I'm describing here....but I've added full height guide-posts since that picture.... Image

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59103003@N05/7748128520/in/set-72157636076955693
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby ryderp » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:16 am

Here is a link to my blog where I talk about the trailer: http://i550-381.blogspot.com/search?upd ... date=false

I've taken the boat twice to Maine (over 900 mi. each way), and plan on going just about every summer. I wanted the trailer to be able to hold up to a lot of abuse without putting pressure on the hull.
ryderp

Postby Kevin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:58 am

I built bunks that fit at frame 53 and 169. I built them on the hull while flipped for bottom finishing. Worked out quite nicely. I included my padding material as a spacer so that the hull fits side to side and they project up a little on each side. Rear bunk has a big notch to allow the keel to float though while ramp launching. I have a smaller trailer than the one you have pictured and it came with no bunks so I had to build up what I wanted.

As for features, depends on where you are storing the boat. If you use bunks to hold the boat and keel above your trailer frame, then it will sit pretty high. Plan on a small ladder to gain easy access to the boat while on the trailer. Or build a tray to hold the keel below the trailer frame with shorter bunks. If you work it right you'll be able to get it in and out of a garage door.

Kevin.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Return to General i550 Chatter