Owner/Builder: Tim Ford, hull#87, webwolf@nbayracing.com
Tim Ford

Re: 2014 AGM Member List

Postby ryderp » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:43 pm

ryderp

Postby noemar » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:02 pm

i550april 006.JPG

Do I qualify for the AGM membership list?
Noel E. Martin
noemar@verizon.net
noemar

Postby Chad » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:13 pm

noemar wrote:Do I qualify for the AGM membership list?

You're close, just gotta get your deck on by February 1st!
-and, that pic looks really good, makes me wish I was building this winter...

Constitution wrote:3.7 An i550 yacht shall be defined as a vessel in sailing or substantially completed condition which conforms to all i550 Class Rules, was built to the i550 specifications as published by the RDO, for which a legitimate hull license has been purchased from the RDO. "Substantially completed" is to mean that hull panels, internal frames and decking have been permanently joined.
&
5.1 A Full Member shall be an owner of an i550 yacht who has paid the i550 Class Full Membership dues. Only Full Members are entitled to vote or hold office.
Chad

Postby Mist » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:40 pm

Tim K, Mist #296, mist0296@gmail.com
Attachments
DSC01146.JPG
DSC01146.JPG (73.1 KiB) Viewed 10930 times
Mist i550 #296 Tim K
Mist

Postby slowpoke » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:38 am

Hopefully these will download..... :oops:
Attachments
boat1.JPG
boat2.JPG
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby jray » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:09 pm

Looking great Rocky! Thanks for the pictures and for joining in.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby lohwaikin » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:09 pm

Hull number : 437,
Owner : Loh Wai Kin,
Email : wloh@slb.com,
Boat name : Big Bad Wolf (Tentative, may change depending what the kids are reading at the time of launching...)

Hull-437-AGM2014-Mugshot.JPG
Loh Wai Kin
Hull #437 "Big Bad Wolf"
Singapore.
lohwaikin

Postby jray » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:17 am

Thanks for joining in Loh Wai Kin! Your build is looking great, and I and others appreciate your participation in the class. BBW sounds like a good boat name. If that doesn't work out I found boats find their own names some good, some not so. Depends on the day ;) one eventually sticks.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Justwannagofast » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:50 pm

wondering where this will leave me as the FRP Production Builder of the i550.
Feel free to comment. I would like to know where I stand regarding this, as I am unsure at this point.

thanks
Geoff

geoff@velocityboatworks.com
www.velocityboatworks.com
facebook www.facebook.com/velocityboats?ref=stream
Justwannagofast

Postby Chad » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:19 pm

Hi Geoff,
We'd love to hear your input, of course!

But the Class is oriented toward the users and racers of the boat, so they are the ones who have a say in its decisions. They are the ones eligible to be Class members. When you roll out VB#1 and start sailing it, we hope you will join the Class and vote on the various issues. I would guess/foresee a position on the Technical Committee for you or someone from VB…

We all recognize that the builder and Class work best if they work together. We've gone out of our way to be supportive of Watershed (despite some ups and downs), and I don't know of anybody here that doesn't support a production builder providing boats to those that don't build themselves. At this point you're still in the vapor-ware category though, having shown us announcements so far, but no PICS. May I suggest that support will get substantially louder once you start posting PICS. Everybody here likes PICS. Looking forward to lots of PICS. PICS make great free advertising. Did I mention that some PICS would really help? :D

I'd like to see our Class promote your boat when there is something to promote, here on the website and at every race we put together. I'd like to see a VB factory boat out demo-ing at every race where i550's come together. Good luck with the roll out and ramp up, and be sure to post some PICS!
Chad

Postby i550sailor@aol.com » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:38 am

I would like to add myself to the list, and believe my deck will be attached by Feb 1st, but its going to be close.
Attachments
i550111.jpg
i550sailor@aol.com

Postby Chad » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:14 am

Looks great, Mark. I didn't know you were so far along.
Chad

Postby jray » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:44 pm

Looking good, things go pretty quick after you get the cockpit and bunks in. Then on to the fairing stuff, can't say that goes quickly. ;)
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby i550sailor@aol.com » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:07 pm

Chad wrote:Looks great, Mark. I didn't know you were so far along.

Thanks, it is going pretty well and faster then I could have thought, I started cutting my frames the day before Halloween. I had prebuilt my cradle and I think that a well constructed, laid out cradle, may be the secret to success here.
i550sailor@aol.com

Postby admin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:11 pm

I'm going to have a very limited voice in this whole thing, but I just wanted to second what Chad said with regard to both the builder and the copyright holder of the design, vis a vis the class.

In all of the one design keelboat racing I've done, most of which was/is on boats starting with the letter J, but also including two different west coast builders that don't start with the letter J, the racers run the class, period.

The people who market and build the boats can play huge roles by publicizing and supporting events, though. And if you look at the J24 International class, for example, the Johnstones have a "designer's appointee" who sits on the technical committee. As Chad has suggested, the extent to which we can create a symbiotic relationship is of enormous importance with regard to the growth and sustainability of the i550 world.

One other comment: if you read something on the forums that rubs you the wrong way, take a day off of the internet and respond only if you have to. I'm not sure what it is about a boat that has a 6mm core and a 6 oz e-glass coating, but it has brought out the thin-skinned people of the racing world. I'm as guilty as anyone, I admit that, but from here on out, try taking a deep breath, take the mouse of to the Google bar, and get a few laughs by reading The Onion or something else that makes ya chuckle.

That's my advice and I'm sticking to it.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Marino » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:47 am

Chad and Tim, thank you for what you have posted. You both gave me really good answers to my suggestion in the thread "discussions"
Marino Zorz
Toronto, Ontario
Build License 307
Build log: http://photos.app.goo.gl/M2m7Afvf2f8p35nz5
Marino

Postby micah202 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:50 pm

admin wrote:
One other comment: if you read something on the forums that rubs you the wrong way, take a day off of the internet and respond only if you have to. I'm not sure what it is about a boat that has a 6mm core and a 6 oz e-glass coating, but it has brought out the thin-skinned people of the racing world. I'm as guilty as anyone, I admit that, but from here on out, try taking a deep breath, take the mouse of to the Google bar, and get a few laughs by reading The Onion or something else that makes ya chuckle.

That's my advice and I'm sticking to it.

...the above is the -best- advice -ever- given on the internet,,and I'm sticking to it,lol! :D :D

..our dear boat was -born- on the pages of SA,,and if you ever enquire about advertising,,the first response you usually get from SA ,as a boatbuilder is...''you better have thick skin''.

...sooo,I'll join Chad and say.....''pictures or it never happened'',,,and wish you all the best!!

...I REALLY DO!!!! ;)

..the 'advice' below is also worthy :?
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby Chad » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:54 pm

I hope your project moves forward Geoff, I really do. I look forward to watching it unfold. I'll stop trying to be "helpful".
Chad

Postby Justwannagofast » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:24 pm

Chad, right now I can post pictures of air. I did say I can now move on to building the the plugs and moulds. My templates and plans are in transit. In the hands of UPS. I will post a pic when they arrive, I hope the delivery guy is not shy.
You mention that I should talk about boat stuff, I thought I was when I was talking about the many layup schedules I have done. You said you love talking about that kind of stuff, but there was no reply to that, only that it is vapour ware. You have to remember, I'm in a much different position than all the home builders. My boats must be registered with our government with a specific number. And for insurance reasons my boats must be built in a particular way. In a way where my ass is covered. More costs and time spent that you are probably not aware of. There have been a few name brand boats break with the loss of lives in the past year. Do you think I want my name added to a list like that.? I know Micah202 and I don't see eye to eye on some things, but I'm pretty sure he would agree with me on this, since he is also building a production boat in the Hoot.
There are not to many companies that share their layup schedule for their boats. If you wish. I will with you but it is confidential. Only Tim and my insurance company knows.
So for now. Lets all of us try and get along.
Justwannagofast

Postby micah202 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:50 am

....maybe you could get a UPS upgrade to 'singing telegram' with some dancing-girls,,and get a few pics of that delivery--it's likely those gals would perhaps be a bit more camera friendly!? ;)

....I'm lucky that I haven't had to deal directly with all those levels of certification/liability bureaucracy yet,,but saw a -bit- of what's involved with the rocket22 project....certainly the process of building a -single- boat is enough for most people,,and the process that each person goes through between building,,rig set-up,,foil making and general dynamics is awesome......... ...........gearing-up for a production run,and the associated finances and time invested is definitely a whole different level again :shock: :shock:

...I doubt anyone would seriously expect to get a full lay-up schedule from you,,,but you'll be asked a lot about resin-type,panel thickness,and cloth and core-types....it's a great message you're giving about weight distribution and all,,and I'm certainly one of the curious masses that will be interested to learn about your project as it folds out in -your- time.

...another fun set of pics would be to see some destructive panel testing in action--I know Boeing gained a lot of publicity with their destructive wing tests! :shock: ;) ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z19m9LZOOZY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=736O4Hz4Nk4

...I also like the various kit-forms you're offering,,,a good way to keep people's hands on and costs down
Last edited by micah202 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby admin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:31 am

I deleted some of the posts on this thread. They were not productive and not in the spirit of this Forum. PM me if you have an issue with anything of yours that I deleted. In all honesty I was going to merge some of the comments into another thread (as I did with the new Regatta Topic in the Racing Forum) but I ran out of time and just said the heck with it. I only have so much patience :D :roll:
admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to General i550 Chatter