Rule Proposal (hull construction material)

Talk about it.

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Rule Proposal (hull construction material)

Postby jray » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:24 pm

Hull Construction

2.1 Hull bottom and side panels shall include commercially available plywood at least 1/4" nominal thickness (5.2 mm minimum actual thickness) Balsa plywood or other similar lightweight non structural wood shall not be permitted for this requirement.

2.1 (proposed) Hull panels shall be constructed so that panel weight is substantially similar through out. 1/4" nominal plywood shall always be constructed to meet this rule, or a non-plywood composite with a uniform base laminate schedule throughout. Any hull laminate may have specific reinforcements for anticipated loads, but shall not be generally lighter in the ends, for instance (see Rule 4.2)

2.2 Hull side and bottom panels shape shall be cut to the specifications of the i550 plan set as provided by the copyright holder and assembled to fit within the bounds provided with this section.

2.2 (proposed) Hull side and bottom panels shape shall be cut to the specifications of the i550 plan set provided by the copyright holder and assembled to fit within the bounds provided with this section (plywood). The shape of a non plywood hull shall be similarly controlled.

2.3 Chines may be rounded in nature, however all hull panels shall make contact along the chine.

2.3 (proposed) Chines may be rounded in nature, however all hull panels shall make contact along the chine (plywood). The amount of chine radius for non-plywood hulls, and the allowable deviation from designed shapes that this rule allows by choosing other than inner-corner to inner-corner, shall be the same for any hull construction.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Re: Rule Proposal (hull construction material)

Postby jray » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:16 pm

Amended proposal:

Change the requirements in the rules restricting hull build material to include fiberglass composit. Allowing for a factory or home built hull/boat to be class legal providing all requirements are met. The scope of this rule change effects rules, 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby micah202 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:27 pm

...I'd suggest that there be some wording in respect to gunnel roundness.
.....from what I've heard,there's possibly something of a liberal attitude towards gunnel radius beyond 'edges touching'?
......if that's the case,,maybe there should be some language to reflect this?

...gunnel-round is a 'pet' area of mine--
.........I really dislike the sharp edge gunnel for esthetics,,docking,,,and hiking off of,,,and if one uses battened hiking pants of the gunnel edge,,the point-force causes a 'typically-built' gunnel to crack-up! :?

EDIT...presumably productin boats will be built with foam-core(?)...the extra thickness of skins might allow a larger gunnel radius?
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby Chad » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:48 pm

The hull panels are only required to meet at the chine; this rule doesn't impact the gunnel. The hull side rules leave the top 2" open, and the deck design is open. Together, that means you can round to your heart's content, add hiking ramps, bean bags, whateverya like up there.
Chad

Postby micah202 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:41 pm

Chad wrote:The hull panels are only required to meet at the chine; this rule doesn't impact the gunnel. The hull side rules leave the top 2" open, and the deck design is open. Together, that means you can round to your heart's content, add hiking ramps, bean bags, whateverya like up there.

....my preference ,for some reason,is a big comfy 'couch'
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby Chad » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:55 pm

Rocky can probably hook you up with some upholstery maestros in the alleys of TJ. I can see CO with a shiny, glitter toned gold naugahyde tuck and roll job, down each rail.
Chad

Postby micah202 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:06 pm

Chad wrote:Rocky can probably hook you up with some upholstery maestros in the alleys of TJ. I can see CO with a shiny, glitter toned gold naugahyde tuck and roll job, down each rail.

..is it allright to have the couch-backs sloped nicely ~2' past the gunnels? ;)

...Rockymight be able t'say why I might not be so interested in dealing with those TJ alleys,though :?
micah202

Postby Chad » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:12 pm

There's a still a beam limit…

but think of the possibilities…
CouchSailor.jpg
Chad

Postby micah202 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:55 pm

...hmm,,coming back to topic,,I'm wondering if laminated naugahide would pass in the new hull construction materials!?
micah202

Postby jray » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:47 pm

jray wrote:Amended proposal:

Change the requirements in the rules restricting hull build material to include fiberglass composit. Allowing for a factory or home built hull/boat to be class legal providing all requirements are met. The scope of this rule change effects rules, 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3

Proposal withdrawn. This discussion is covered in another thread.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Return to General i550 Chatter