Rule proposal (Cabin Restrictions)

Talk about it.

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Rule proposal (Cabin Restrictions)

Postby jray » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:31 pm

2.5 Fair curve of cabin roof adjacent to the mast step or partners shall be no less than 42" (1067mm) above the bottom of the hull at station 89.

2.5 (proposed) Fair curve of cabin roof adjacent to the mast step or partners shall be no less than 35" (889mm) above the bottom of the hull at station 89.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Re: Rule proposal (Cabin Restrictions)

Postby Chad » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:27 am

"Seconded"

-this is an inch below the height of the lower, pdx-style cabin, so any builder building from any of Watershed's plans would be legal.
Chad

Postby Kevin » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:46 am

I believe a foredeck is a sound idea for the i550. Anyone who has been on a run in 18 plus knots and a huge kite up can vouch for the amount of water that can makes is way over the bow. Having no foredeck is not a wise choice for any builder to pursue. The 35" would require something with a slight curve, not completely flat across.

I'm in favor of this rule change.

Kevin.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby micah202 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:56 am

...I very much agree with kevin in terms of the existence of a foredeck,,,
........but would wish to question the Foredeck -LENGTH...
....it would be rather 'nice' to accommodate a 'keel-stepped' mast by allowing the deck to end just before the mast,,
,,,,,though the objective could be accomplished by having an indentation otherwise.

..relating to this.....does the class association still have a maximum hiking strap forward position,,or other means of limiting crew forward??
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby Chad » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:38 am

Yeah, keel stepped is fine, with sort of a companionway type hatch to accommodate hoisting/pivoting up the mast...?

Re the latter point:
From memory, "cockpit shall not extend more than 106" forward of the transom". The hiking strap limit was an older idea...
Chad

Postby micah202 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:21 am

Chad wrote:Yeah, keel stepped is fine, with sort of a companionway type hatch to accommodate hoisting/pivoting up the mast...?

Re the latter point:
From memory, "cockpit shall not extend more than 106" forward of the transom". The hiking strap limit was an older idea...

..me's confused on your first point--I was thinking of the mast being stepped on the cockpit floor,,just behind the foredeck...you're describing keelstep with long cabin?

.,,where's the mast step in relation to the 106'' from stern?
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby jray » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:54 am

micah202 wrote:

Rule 2.6 Cockpit may only extend 106" (2692mm) forward of the aft face of the transom.

That would place the mast step on frame 89, 19 inches forward of where the cockpit ends and does not allow for a keel stepped mast you are referring to. This is a separate issue from the rule proposal. Right now to my knowledge there are no plan sets being sold with the cockpit configuration you are asking for.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Chad » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:17 pm

micah202 wrote:..me's confused on your first point--I was thinking of the mast being stepped on the cockpit floor,,just behind the foredeck...you're describing keelstep with long cabin?

The intention of the cockpit length restriction (basically, no further forward than f110, front of keel, "short cabin") is to limit the area of legs-in hiking so everybody has the same tools to work with in moving crew around to effect trim, and the same ergonomics of sailing the boat.

To keep this thread sorta on topic, can you open a thread about that rule/issue, if you'd like to propose a change/further discuss it?
Chad

Postby micah202 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:33 pm

...I'll 'rest' -my- question on cabin-length here....being so close to the keel,there likely will be too many 'issues' with raising,lowering the mast anyways ;)

...EDIT...though I wonder if there's boats that were built in the original tone of rule that there's no deck restrictions?
.....perhaps even my modification doesn't technically meet the deck-length rule :oops: ......is there others?

...is there a means to look at this question?...grandfathering?
micah202

Postby Chad » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:54 pm

It's been discussed in the past, that a means for a boat that wasn't designed to comply could:
A. Add a washboard sorta panel across the front of the cockpit at the required location
B. Add a mesh panel, maybe to hold the spin bag, similar to A.
C. Add a piece of string across the front of the cockpit, the knot sealed with the event measurer's Big Red chewing gum. (perhaps said string could keep a six or two of wheat soda from intruding into the Class approved cockpit area?)

At a worlds, I suspect "A" would be needed; at any event on the foreseeable horizon, "C" is fine. (that's my opinion.)

Basically, my attitude is don't sweat it it'll work out, but long cockpits are discouraged for new builds. So far every plan buyer has bought a plan for a cabined boat. To me that's sort of the identity of the boat, and to make the boat less useful (see Class Mission Statement) by making no-cabin boats the competitive norm isn't in the interest of the Class. I want to take my boat camping, change my wet shorts in the cabin, etc. That is/was part of the "brochure model", and that is the boat almost all of us made a decision to buy.
Chad

Return to General i550 Chatter