Measurement Guide, Form, Spreadsheet

Talk about it.

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Measurement Guide, Form, Spreadsheet

Postby Chad » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:26 pm

I've done a little work putting together a measurement guide, a measurement form, and a spreadsheet linked to the form.

This isn't an all-inclusive rule compliance list or checklist, just the things that would be actually measured. The purpose is to make the actual information available to all, and to let everybody use a common method to measure their boats.

You can edit your responses, or enter bogus or placeholder/zero numbers for things that you don't know (weight, for instance). I think it all works, but this is my first time using Google Forms and there may be some weirdness- let me know what you find. Any feedback on what you'd like to see done differently is welcome, too.

Measurment Guide.zip
(587.76 KiB) Downloaded 194 times

Measurement Form
Measurement Spreadsheet

I recently acquired an 1100# load cell/crane scale which I'll make available to Class members in North America, perhaps with a PayPal deposit or some similar security arrangement. I'm looking forward and very curious to see what it shows!

I've had a thaw and warm up here, but cold stuff returning soon. I'm not sure when I can roll my boat outside and measure it up, but it should be in the next two weeks. I'll put some pictures up when I do...
Chad

Re: Measurement Guide, Form, Spreadsheet

Postby slowpoke » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:46 am

2 questions Chad, first, could you please add the measurement form as a pdf file? Second, I added the radiuses (radii) to my frames. What will this do to the straight line test?
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby Chad » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:00 pm

Hi Rocky,
Here's the form in pdf format:
i550 MeasurementsForm.pdf
(142.27 KiB) Downloaded 197 times

The "straight line test" just measures how far from a straight line those curved frames are. It isn't meant to imply that the frames should be "straight lines".

I should probably also clarify that this form asks for raw numbers, which the spreadsheet then converts into rule-applicable numbers where needed. In some cases the "rule numbers" are the sum/difference of several, easier to measure values (like cabin height + mast step + mast length).

And it asks for rocker, although there is no direct rule about rocker. This is just to allow folks to see what the range is, and to give guidance for any possible/future rule discussion.
Chad

Postby micah202 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:03 pm

....nice work Chad!!...
....there's -talkers- such as myself,,,,and -DOers- like you
...I'm sure the i550 world goes a lot further on your efforts than the likes of mine!! :D ..........thanks for doing this! ;)
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby slowpoke » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:42 am

I echo what Micah said, thanks for all the work Chad!
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Return to General i550 Chatter