Saturday Afternoon Sail

Talk about it.

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Saturday Afternoon Sail

Postby ryderp » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:14 pm

I have to say that the i550 is probably the most comfortable boat I've been on for a nice afternoon sail with family or friends.

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1197.JPG
ryderp

Re: Saturday Afternoon Sail

Postby jray » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:50 am

That bright cabin top looks very nice!
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Tim Ford » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:27 pm

And construction looks robust! Hope mine doesn't fall apart now....
Tim Ford

Postby Chad » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:58 pm

Busted the boat out of the garage, cleaned it up, and watched it sit in my driveway as two solid days of thunderstorms rolled through. Drat!
Chad

Postby jray » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:14 am

Hopefully the third day will bring fair winds and a bit of sunshine. Time to sail, at least here where the season is short. ;)
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby i550sailor@aol.com » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:39 pm

Ryderp,

What mast are you using?. How many pounds per foot?
Thanks
i550sailor@aol.com

Postby ryderp » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:38 pm

I'm using a Dwyer DM4. It weighs 1.05 lbs per foot.

I saw your note on SA about the weight of the mast being a concern. I've had my boat over on its ear a couple of times (my spin is way too big), and the boat popped right up as soon as I let off the lines.

Phil

Here is a view of the mast - looking up:

IMG_1191.jpg
ryderp

Postby micah202 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:14 pm

...wow,,that chute's chord looks rather wiiiiiiide! :shock: :) ;)
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby ryderp » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:19 pm

I've been debating whether to get another smaller chute or to have this one cut down.

Phil
ryderp

Postby i550sailor@aol.com » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:00 pm

Listening in on the impute from others on here, I think I will do more research, do we have any good sailmakers who have actually sailed an i550?,,, when the Boston/Doyles joined the U20 group and started doing R&D for them, they made substantial improvement's to how the boat sails, it would be awesome to get someone on board to help us optimize our i550's.

Mark
i550sailor@aol.com

Postby i550sailor@aol.com » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:06 pm

ryderp wrote:I'm using a Dwyer DM4. It weighs 1.05 lbs per foot.

I saw your note on SA about the weight of the mast being a concern. I've had my boat over on its ear a couple of times (my spin is way too big), and the boat popped right up as soon as I let off the lines.

Phil

Here is a view of the mast - looking up:

IMG_1191.jpg

What kind of wind are you sailing in normally. I had posted my question about weight while considering using a freebie U20 mast, but then decided it was too heavy, Ballengers weigh in at 1.5 pounds per foot, which I decided was just too much extra weight aloft, I have since found a viper mast in AZ that will be delivered to the Dillon open. Do you have the drawing to your Dwyer setup?.

Thanks for all your help,
Mark
i550sailor@aol.com

Postby ryderp » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:26 pm

Sorry, I don't have any drawings. I have descriptions on my old blog at i550-381.blogspot.com

We normally sail in light to moderate air (<20kts). I bought my sails second hand but unused (and still at the sail loft) from an i550 builder who got frustrated and gave up on his build, so I didn't determine the dimensions of the sails.

Phil
ryderp

Postby micah202 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:37 pm

i550sailor@aol.com wrote:Listening in on the impute from others on here, I think I will do more research, do we have any good sailmakers who have actually sailed an i550?,,, when the Boston/Doyles joined the U20 group and started doing R&D for them, they made substantial improvement's to how the boat sails, it would be awesome to get someone on board to help us optimize our i550's. Mark

....unfortunately,,a sailmaker's input won't help so much with details since 550's have a wider variety of spars.

...my bet on the right chute would be bigger isn't necessarily better ;)
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby i550sailor@aol.com » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:34 pm

Micah,

I hear you on the spars, the U20's now have C-tech and Forte in Carbon and Ballenger and ???? one other for AL,,,, and the sail cuts are different,,, how much I don't know. I got the boat flipped and the bottom started,,, and thought I had better start figuring out my sails.
i550sailor@aol.com

Postby micah202 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:27 pm

i550sailor@aol.com wrote:Micah,

I hear you on the spars, the U20's now have C-tech and Forte in Carbon and Ballenger and ???? one other for AL,,,, and the sail cuts are different,,, how much I don't know. I got the boat flipped and the bottom started,,, and thought I had better start figuring out my sails.

.....sailmaker's will hate me**,,,but a used set of Melges 20 sails will get you started nicely!

...with the Viper mast,,,see if you can pull the sleeve out the base--not easy but worthwhile...haven't done it on a viper spar yet,,but done on a finn mast

....**..except for the modification$ they make
micah202

Postby noemar » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:36 am

I will be using a Viper mast and Melges 20 sails and wonder if removing the sleeve will weaken the mast. My mast will not be stepped on the deck but run through and stepped on the reinforced cabin sole. That is if I ever get the boat done. Last of the cloth going on this weekend.
Noel
noemar

Postby micah202 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:08 am

noemar wrote:I will be using a Viper mast and Melges 20 sails and wonder if removing the sleeve will weaken the mast. My mast will not be stepped on the deck but run through and stepped on the reinforced cabin sole. That is if I ever get the boat done. Last of the cloth going on this weekend.
Noel

...those masts are said to be quite heavily built,,,,,'tswat I'd do ;)
micah202

Postby Kevin » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:41 am

If you are rigging with double spreaders, then you shouldn't need a tree trunk mast. The dm4 is not a heavy duty spar at all. I bet the viper mast without the sleeve is bigger and stiffer than the dm4. If you are using a traveler, then you shouldn't be stressing out the bottom of the spar with vang pressure most of the time, another reason to loose the sleeve if you can.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Viper Spars...

Postby micah202 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:59 pm

...just rec'd a Viper Spar....45pounds over a 30length,,,but the sleeving is a full half of the sparlength,,and equal wall thickness,,,so the spar itself is ~1lb/foot....sounds similar to the Dwyer spar-weight....there's a lot of rivets holding the sleeve in place-it'd be important to overdrill all of these before attempting to remove the sleeve,,,then use a cutter to cut-through some of the mast-base,,,exposing the sleeve inside.....then attach to a cum-along and with some luck--voila-presto!!! :roll:

...I'll let yer know how it goes when I get a round twit ;)
micah202

Postby Big_Dog » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:17 am

The Selden/Proctor 3525 section is lighter than the Dwyer DM-4, but it is longer and wider making it much stiffer. From what I've found from a early Viper owner the sleeve helped an issue of the mast inverting. It also made for high loads needed for prebend. The 12 -13 feet of inner sleeve was the same mast section with the sail track cut off. I'm planning to leave the sleeve in for now and then evaluate removing it later. Attached is a spreadseet with number of Al and CF sections. Link under the section names will take you to the webpages.

Mast Section -Al.pdf
(366.89 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
Jon
#36 – Still In the Dawg House
Columbia, SC - Lake Murray
Big_Dog

Postby ryderp » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:44 pm

As an actual owner of a Dwyer DM4, I can state categorically that it's not exactly a wet noodle. The sailmaker was pretty surprised at it's stiffness when I did a flex test and he plugged the numbers into his computer. Any of the spars that are being discussed will work, and I don't believe that any of them will fail in normal use unless one of the shrouds or spreaders fail - then I think that just about all of them are subject to failure.
ryderp

Return to General i550 Chatter