Class Rule Changes 2014

Talk about it.

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Class Rule Changes 2014

Postby Chris Lee » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:05 am

Hi. I am interested in a couple of changes to the class rules which happened earlier in 2014.

Can anyone tell me the thinking behind;
1 Cockpit length rule. Does this by implication mean that a foredeck is required?
2 No rudder gantry rule.

I am also interested in the reason for such a high minimum weight rule.

I am hoping the someone who has been around the class for a while might be able to help.

Cheers
Chris
Chris Lee

Re: Class Rule Changes 2014

Postby Chad » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:43 am

I'll try to answer based on my memory of the history of these issues.

Cockpit length, and foredeck height at the mast, rules are designed to preserve the general arrangement of the boats- everybody has some storage, everybody has the same ergonomic obstacles to define crew placement and movements.

Keeping the rudders on the transom just closes off an unwanted area of development that, seeing the high failure rate of home-built rudders, would be extra difficult for home builders to successfully pursue.

The Class weight is based on the meranti-ply kits provided by Watershed.

The Aus boats have so far been SMS or trailer rule boats, so OD has never been an issue that I can tell. If you have a vision for an i550 outside our rules, go for it!
Chad

Postby Chris Lee » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:14 pm

Thanks Chad.
We too will be sailing in a mixed fleet so fitting into the i550 rule is not our priority.
We bought our plans and started building earlier this year and we were working from the rules which came with the plans which were the old rules. We were disappointed to learn of the new rules because we will no longer be able to measure easily as an I550.
However we have also taken your advice and built the boat we want to sail.
We left off the gantry which I think is a pity as it really just makes for a more manageable boat at speed without increasing speed per say.
We think we will have a removable foredeck for when we need it but will retain the spinnaker chute.
We have built a light boat and will race her without correctors.
If we are to have a renaissance of plywood boat building for racing, [and I hope we are] the boats have to have the potential to be faster boats because they have been built better. This has always been the case with racing boats.
We run the risk with rules like the minimum weight rule that we stifle development and innovation and discourage well built racing boats. Encouraging heavy boats doesn't mean that we end up with stronger boats, but they are definitely slower.
Cheers
Chris
Chris Lee

Postby strider » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:42 pm

The rule set found on this site is for this class with the folks out in the Pacific North West having their own set of rules. As far as I know, most of the boats built in Australia have been basically built to one of the original sets of rules, which at this time are as valid as any of them. The original set also offers the biggest opportunity for innovation.

Pretty much, at least here in the states, if you build to the original rule set, you will pass the North American (PNW) rule set and you will pass this rule set most of the time.

My take on the rule differences are a bit different than Chads, but his work OK. What I see as the biggest motivation in the newer rules is the desire to prevent innovation in certain areas in an attempt at keeping the boats closer in performance. The jury is still out if any of the rules are helping to accomplish those goals. Bottom line, if and when the "East" and "West" meet here in the states, no one sailing will care much which set of rules are right or not. All will just have fun.

I suspect that no matter what you do to your boat, your fellow countrymen with i550's will still want to come out and play.
strider

Return to General i550 Chatter