jib size

Talk about it.

Moderators: admin, Kevin

jib size

Postby 603goran » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:52 pm

A while ago I was talking with some sailmaker about quoting price for i550 sails. Talking about jib I was asked - if the jib is OVERLAPPING ??? For what i didn't have an answer. Can any one enlighten me on this subject - I will greatly appreciate.....
603goran

Re: jib size

Postby Chad » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:50 pm

Nope, non-overlapping. "Overlapping" refers to the jib leech extending further aft than the mast or its rigging.

With outboard shrouds (and a rule against sheeting jibs outside the shrouds), our limit on jib size is effectively the shroud locations.
Chad

Postby Warren Nethercote » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:46 am

Chad, I risk dancing upon a head of a pin, but there is some overlap. I asked my sail maker about going the self-tacking route because of my past Soling experience and he was adamantly opposed. He wanted LP greater than 100% and as much overlap as the spreaders would allow. OK, it's nothing like a genoa because it is not allowed to be sheeted outside the shrouds, but he wanted as much overlap as he could get away with to help light air performance (or words to that effect). We ended up using the PDX rig as our basis and I recall the jib LP as being 108%. So a little bit of overlap.

As an aside, the new ownership/franchisee arrangements in North Sails provide the ability to see and use designs prepared by other North lofts, so my local loft was able to look at i550 sail designs previously prepared by other North American, European and Australian lofts.
Warren Nethercote
Boutilier's Pt, Nova Scotia
Build License 573
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=364
Warren Nethercote

Postby admin » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:19 pm

Yeah, I think mine is about 105%...maybe 103. A little more than J.

jib percentage.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Postby Chad » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:57 pm

Yeah, that's why I (tried to) defined what I meant by "overlapping" - functionally, versus mathematically.
When I measured for my own sails, I also made every effort to extend my jib as far back and into the rig as I could.
Chad

Return to General i550 Chatter