glitches?

Talk about it.

Moderators: admin, Kevin

glitches?

Postby slowpoke » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Hey everyone! I said it before, Thanks for the hard work, I noticed a few glitches (maybe). First, I checked the sign me in automatically box, but I'm still having to sign in each time. Next, once I got to the forum(Signed in), I couldn't navigate back to the home page. Did I miss the link mark? And members only area is still under construction?
awesome job guys, and thanks again!
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Re: glitches?

Postby admin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:35 pm

Thanks for the heads-up! Still trying to figure out how to edit the forum homepage to swap out the banner with something like pix and a blurb about the boats. And add a link to the class homepage.

I'll look into the return switch, try to figure out what's up with that.

Don't hesitate to point stuff out that needs attention, we appreciate it!
admin
Site Admin

Postby slowpoke » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:49 pm

Just figuring out how things work, i really like this setup. Could you add my blog to the list? http://slowpokei550.blogspot.com
Thanks Again!
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby admin » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:05 am

Absolutely! Sorry to have not included it.

Also, I never responded to your PM on the old i550.org site, Rocky. I am very sorry about that. I almost never checked my PM's on that site and by the time I did, I think Kevin and Jeff had answered most, if not all, of your questions.

anyway, I'll add the blog right away.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Kevin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:34 pm

Another glitch bites the dust!!

Auto re-login now works. Next time you log in, click the "automatically log me in each visit" (or what ever it says) check box and you should be good. Please advise if you get logged out after a period of time (while you are active).

Cheers, Kevin.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby Tim Ford » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:34 pm

Anyone else noticed this? I generally go to our class site by going to GOOGLE and typing in i550 class or 1550class and hitting the return key. THIS site used to come up third from the top. Now it does not show up at all on Page 1 of results! It's only if you type in i550class.org that it shows up in GOOGLE! (on the first page)

Am I thinking conspiracy? I dunno...even the paranoid have enemies.
Tim Ford

Postby slowpoke » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:25 am

We need to start pumping the i550class.org site again, that'll bring it back up in the standings.
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby micah202 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:23 pm

..isn't it rather a positive thing that folks go to a central arena to share their build progress,etc?
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby admin » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:02 pm

Not sure what you mean ^
admin
Site Admin

Postby micah202 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:56 am

nortorious wrote:I think that micah202 is referring to the original i550.org site, which does easily come up on Google. Probably because it is has consistently been the most used and viewed site. It may be more important to be involved positively with that site and then those who wish to get to know this version of an i550 class better can easily be directed here.

,,yeh,that's what I meant t'say! :roll:
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby slowpoke » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:02 am

I VERY rarely go to the old i550.org site, the last time I did they were seriously talking about starting to make production boats. Since the i550 is vigorously touted as a build it yourself out of plywood boat, I feel the i550class site should be where I spend my time, as the boats being built by its members more closely follow this philosophy.
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby micah202 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:01 am

slowpoke wrote:I VERY rarely go to the old i550.org site, the last time I did they were seriously talking about starting to make production boats. Since the i550 is vigorously touted as a build it yourself out of plywood boat, I feel the i550class site should be where I spend my time, as the boats being built by its members more closely follow this philosophy.

..yeh,,when there,there'd definitely be times to quietly get up and find another (thread)spot to sit where there's a conversation of interest,,,but there's some good conversations there,,just as there are here.,and it's a central location for broader topics such as build information.
...personally,I have some points of view which lay contrary to EACH class....should I start my own class and website?....or join in with that which works for me,,within each?! :roll:
micah202

Postby Tim Ford » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:13 pm

The org site does contain some good info, I'll grant you that. But certain personalities just wore me down. I decided a while ago that racing means too much to me to spend it with people I don't particularly care for, and I've left some competitive programs on OPBs for that very reason. Life is way too short.

I do go there once in awhile, but it's 100% just to gleam some useful building info from it.
Tim Ford

Postby micah202 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:50 pm

Tim Ford wrote:The org site does contain some good info, I'll grant you that. But certain personalities just wore me down. I decided a while ago that racing means too much to me to spend it with people I don't particularly care for, and I've left some competitive programs on OPBs for that very reason. Life is way too short.

I do go there once in awhile, but it's 100% just to gleam some useful building info from it.

yeh good point.there's certainly people in both groups who are a bit wary where they venture,,and people who are most comfortable staying at home...I gather there has been some tough times that led to this,,kinda glad that it was just in july/august that I joined in-and kinda missed that 'excitement'.
..for my geographic location in the NW,,it was the overall momentum that drew me in,seeing that there'll be a fleet active by next spring certainly is a big draw,,,,,and I saw a way join and add to that momentum by getting Ben's boat.

.....with a history of boatwork and fleet promotion,,,,as well as being a passionate though aging sailor,,,I expect that an active OD fleet in the region will generate interest from other sailors who would wish to simply step into the class and join the fun.I like the idea that it's possible that production boats could be made available,at least within the rules which predominate the NW.I really doubt that there would ever be a major production,,,and think that the VX design will keep it that way.I really think the mindset of independant,anarchistic,,simplicity,,economy to the max,,and resourcefulness are the underpinnings of the i550class (or classes).
...With this very large continent,,and the distances involved,,I'm pretty sure that i550's will become active in a # of regions as a fun,not particularly hard-core group of resourceful wing-nuts ,,,with not a whole lot of inter-travel ,and imagine if a boat -does- make a longer trip outside their home area,,they'll probably be welcomed whatever their configuration....and hope the various inter-communications online will come to reflect this idea :roll:
micah202

Postby Tim Ford » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:10 pm

Oh man, I don't blame you at all. I think Eric is doing a great job and from what I've seen, the boats that are coming out of Portland are closer to OD than anything else out there, at this point in time. I think Eric knows, or at least I hope he does, that I "personally" am supportive of the Portland group. And I hope you have a blast with the Offset! (one of the better names that have come out of this show, too!)

It was the VARA rudder and fin keel stuff coming out of the hoards that finally lit a light bulb off in my dim brain...after that I said, I'm outta here.

Also: looks like we will all need a scoop, too, if anyone wants to head for CRW in 2013.
Tim Ford

Postby admin » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:08 pm

Yeah, well. Synanora buddy.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:12 pm

Sorry, folks, but we have one less member. My patience ain't what it used to be. And you know the old saw, "Never choose a battle with someone who buys ink buy the barrel," although in this case, it's pixels.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:36 pm

Also: micah, totally not your fault. I should never have re-opened the whole "Glitches" thread and then posted my paranoia about Google...I'm sure there's some sort of legitimate reason my Google has made us less obvious. :roll:
admin
Site Admin

Postby Chad » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:17 pm

Tim Ford wrote:Anyone else noticed this? I generally go to our class site by going to GOOGLE and typing in i550 class or 1550class and hitting the return key. THIS site used to come up third from the top. Now it does not show up at all on Page 1 of results! It's only if you type in i550class.org that it shows up in GOOGLE! (on the first page)

Am I thinking conspiracy? I dunno...even the paranoid have enemies.

I'm no web guru or anything, but as I understand it the google rankings have at least partially to do with how many websites link to a site.

So, would making the "i550class.org" logo at the top of the forum a LINK instead of a dead graphic help? I think this site gets lots more traffic than our front page, so the link here to the front page should carry a bit of weight, google-analytically. There is no link at all on the forum page to the front page, as far as I can find.
Chad

Postby Kevin » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:38 pm

the i550class.org text in the header is now a link back to our class home page. Hows that for a quick turn around. Not happy about how I had to do it because I think a upgrade to the theme will overwrite my change because they encode the values in the header text ... Oh, it's hard coded now. That's what that means.

Any one who can add links to the class site please do. That will help boost our ratings.
Kevin.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby Chad » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:11 pm

Great!

Now, pressing my luck a bit, I notice that both the home page and this page create new pages when the links are used. I can get 4 windows opened in a few seconds by going back and forth. Now that each page has a link to the other, can you/shouldn't you drop the "open in new window" function?
Chad

Postby Kevin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:13 am

Ironically, I added the target=new logic after I already made the change. Easy enough to change to not use a new target.

Enjoy your lack of lots of windows. I personally use tabs and didn't care much.

Kevin.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby Chad » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:54 am

I "use" whatever the f'ing puter puts in front of my face. :D Some things ya just click, some things ya go to the trouble of right-click/choose open in new tab or window. When the link already has the "open in new window" tag, I don't have an easy way of overriding that.

So, thanks! Again.
Chad

Postby Chad » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:01 am

Hey, noticed that googlin "i550 class" brings this home page up as result #2, 3, & 4. So sumthim worked!
Chad

Return to General i550 Chatter