Hello from Dubai

Please introduce yourself.

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Hello from Dubai

Postby SandboxSailor » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:38 pm

Hi guys,
I’ve just purchased a set of plans for this bad boy and will hopefully start building soon...Corona pandemic willing

I plan on building the no cabin wide cockpit version with a CF mast.
Other things I’d like to do on the boat is a spinnaker chute with single line kite and prod launch and douse but the plans are a little light on pole support/placement/launch/retrieval instructions or diagrams
The mast step and support is a little hazy
Also is a canting keel allowed? It’s an idea I’m playing with.

I’m always open to comments and suggestions to hopefully make a strong, fast and light boat
SandboxSailor

Re: Hello from Dubai

Postby Warren Nethercote » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:27 pm

Page 6 of my build log shows how I did the prod receiver and the spinnaker launcher opening ....

Is a swing keel worth the aggravation with a 150 lb bulb?
Warren Nethercote
Boutilier's Pt, Nova Scotia
Build License 573
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=364
Warren Nethercote

Postby SandboxSailor » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:50 am

Thanks Warren, I’ll have a good look at your build log indeed.
Did you set your spinnaker launch and douse up in such a way that it extends and retracts the pole at the same time?
I was thinking of doing it in a similar way to the VX One system.
Also what are your thoughts on a furling headsail?
I was just toying with the idea of a canting keel for short handed sailing to improve leverage, 170lbs is surprisingly effective a la mini transats and SK2’s. The SK2 is a 190kg 5.6m boat with only 80kg ballast. The keelbox itself isn’t too complex and the keel itself would remain exactly the same bu I would have to add a dagger board but it was just an idea I was considering.
Werner Leppan
Hull license #667
SandboxSailor

Postby Warren Nethercote » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:42 am

Hi Werner,

COVID 19 willing, this summer will be first launch for me, so much of this is what I plan. I plan to extend the pole with the spinnaker hoist la 49er, etc.

I do not have a self-furling jib and have second thoughts about that choice, but I already have sails (and a jib with horizontal battens). I do have concerns about adjustable forestay yension with a self-furler.

The SK2 is indeed intriguing. :-)
Warren Nethercote
Build License 573
Warren Nethercote

Postby SandboxSailor » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:46 pm

Yeah it’s an interesting idea...wonder if it would be class legal 8-)
Attachments
A1B38C56-3131-41AA-88BA-D4F266031371.png
A1B38C56-3131-41AA-88BA-D4F266031371.png (175.47 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
Werner Leppan
Hull license #667
SandboxSailor

Postby Tim Ford » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:27 pm

Ten years ago I'd have said something completely different, but in 2020 I'd say "Build the boat however you see most fitting and enjoyable for your circumstances and venue." I think a canter would be supercool. The crash jibe I had last summer would have been VERY interesting with the bulb on the wrong side! :lol: :lol: I suspect the water temps around the Emirates are pretty forgiving, so if you take a swim it won't be that unpleasant.
Tim Ford

Postby Warren Nethercote » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:35 pm

To quote from the class rules ... "3.7 Keel may be fixed or retractable," which may be a problem, unless the swing keel were retractable. But tim's advice to build what makes you happy is good. Thomas' build with a centreboard is giving him much joy.

(Edit: I did a delivery trip from Chester to Halifax on a 37 ft Farr swing keel sport boat some years ago and I have to say that it was an enjoyable experience. We delivered with a crew of four and carried a small assymmetric at considerable speed in moderate winds without any stress on the crew. Now this was a hydraulically-controlled keel, and earlier failures of the control system had caused some spectacular masthead-in-the-water tacks. Fortunately, I had no first-hand experience of those!)
Warren Nethercote
Build License 573
Warren Nethercote

Postby Marino » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:07 pm

No one is telling you not to. Make it to suit you and your ideas. Just try to keep the hull dimensions. Check Chad's blog and the one builder from Australia. The idea of a canting keel is an idea, I was also considering at one time. I felt the extra weight and cost was to high to make one.
That's my opinion.

Question to ask yourself is who will I be sailing aganist in my area and how many i550 are there near me.
Marino Zorz
Toronto, Ontario
Build License 307
Build log: http://photos.app.goo.gl/M2m7Afvf2f8p35nz5
Marino

Postby SandboxSailor » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:26 pm

Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate the input and will keep you all apprised of progress
Werner Leppan
Hull license #667
SandboxSailor

Postby Watershed » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:43 am

Yes to what all those guys said. they are smarter than I. Their skills and depth are something which are to be admired.
Watershed

Return to Welcome to the i550class.org Forum