...Selling a 'plywood' boat....

Sell, barter or give away your stuff (including boats)

Moderators: admin, Kevin

...Selling a 'plywood' boat....

Postby micah202 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:41 am

Carbon 22.jpg
Carbon 22.jpg (39.95 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
In the 3 years I had 'Carbon Offset' on the market, I really noticed that potential buyers were very shy of the homebuilt plywood aspect of our boats.
Resale values have been ridiculous! I was lucky in the end, that one of the guys that bought my boat had built a farrier, so was quite accustomed to the concept. These guys were tapping all over the boat, they seemed to know what they were looking at.

I think it's worth doing what we can to demystify what ''epoxy, glass, brunzeel core, carbon reinforced composites'' are,, and how solid they can be.

Brainstorming Ideas.....
... Emphasize the 'affordable high performance',,,mobility aspects of the boat.
...On Craigslist,, there's always a picture, and room for 2-3 words.... make it exciting....''Let's GO!!!.... - $4200'' ,,with an exciting shot,, that's what sold mine.
....Keep a build sample on hand, a way to demonstrate the panel toughness, and joinery?
...''epoxy, glass, brunzeel core, carbon reinforced composites''......Emphasize that the mahogany plywood acts as a structural core, much denser and tougher than foam core, and well protected by epoxy. High load areas are hopefully reinforced with carbon, further emphasizing the idea.
...When sharing pictures with an interested party,, include interior shots, mine were ugly, but at least I got to state the benefits of the build.
.....post some exciting pics of i550's in the ad, even if they're not yours, but also emphasize the family friendly aspects as well.
......Of course, the biggest seller is if there's a fun, active fleet in your area. ...something we ALL gotta work on.
Even just one really good regional event a year. After all, that's why you built it, no!?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's how I put it, really emphasized the fun accessible nature of the boat.....

Carbon Offset, i550 hull #240 is for sale. ....$5500cdn ....($4.2G US)
This is an i550 sportboat,,,with friendly manners and high stability for family sailing,, and great speed offwind with the large asymmetric spinnaker for skilled hands. Built of composite construction, Epoxy, Carbon, Brunzeel core,, the design is successful in capturing the features of modern sportboats in an accessible size and price.

'Carbon Offset' has proven herself as a fun, fast, reliable boat within the Northwest one-design fleet.
Sadly my knees proved less durable. The boat has been kept in covered storage since new, with only occasional use in recent years.

The boat is set up in a simple, yet effective manner,, and has had a number of upgrades in the ~6 years I've had her. Upgrades include enlarged cockpit space, carbon fiber spreaders & rudder, keel refinements, and sail replacement ...all with an emphasis towards simple sail-ability. There's also a 2' bolt-on stern extension for phrf handicap racing.

At ~1200lb --including-- road trailer, this boat tows well behind any 6 cyl engine and launches easily,, obsoleting the need for expensive on-water moorage.

#240 is complete and ready for FUN! She comes with ,,2 spinnakers, 1 mylar main and 2 jibs.....and of course the easy-launch road trailer.

The boat is located near vancouver,BC

Let me know if you have any q's, want to take a look, or make an offer ...
Attachments
i550 gorge picture.JPG
Carbon BEST 3.jpg
Carbon BEST 3.jpg (74.48 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
Carbon BEST 1.jpg
Carbon BEST 1.jpg (48.2 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Re: ...Selling a 'plywood' boat....

Postby Tim Ford » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:37 pm

Good stuff, thanks man. And congrats on selling the boat. I'm not there yet, want to get a few more seasons in and do some traveling with the thing.
Tim Ford

Re: ...Selling a 'plywood' boat....

Postby micah202 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:27 pm

Tim Ford wrote:Good stuff, thanks man. And congrats on selling the boat. I'm not there yet, want to get a few more seasons in and do some traveling with the thing.
:( the

Mannnn, i'd be with you, if it weren't for these wobbly knees.
The surgeon only let me know -after- surgery... hiking = 'shearing force'.
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Return to i550 "Class"ified